Friday, November 14, 2008

Spirit of Pregnancy Assignment 6

Are you aware of any way your identity as a woman feels different now that you're pregnant? How is your relationship to other women changing? How do you respond to being given advice about pregnancy? Is it different from how you respond to advice in general? What words of advice would you secretly like to hear? If you could look down on yourself "like an owl" what would you see?

I no longer feel like a young women, I feel like I am slowly turning into all those other people I see. I feel like I will be talking more with other mom's in the neighborhood, as if my childlessness has separated me thus far. (Even though almost all of my female friends around here have at least one child.) The women at work are treating me different, giving me advice and blaming a lot of things on the pregnancy, which I don't really like. This is normally how I respond. There are certain people I like to hear things from. People I admire and trust. One of the things I like about them is the willingness to give minimal advice unless asked, yet they are willing to share their stories. It is nice. I also feel like every woman knows. Like Leslie realizing I wasn't drinking alcohol or caffine. The words I would secretly like to hear is that my child will be fine and everything I do is fine. I don't need to worry about miscarriage or letting people know that I am pregnant. I can have a home birth without a problem, I don't have to go to a hospital. I will be an excellent mom, cool and yet still myself. I want to be more inspired as an artist. If I could look down on myself I would see a tired person who wants a vacation.

No comments: