Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My life as a cycalist

I received my first bike for Christmas when I was 5. It had a long purple banana seat, basket, and training wheels. It spent the first years of its life being ridden in the basement. Then we moved and no basement was available.
My next milestone was teaching myself to ride without training wheels. It took a while. I think I was in maybe 3rd grade. I took my brothers smaller dirt bike and kept riding it down the driveway until I got it.
The rest of my life was random bike rides on old bikes (I never got another bike) on the gravel roads. A couple of spills on the corner between my house and my grandmas. All in all not much riding. One tandem bike ride on Mackinac Island and a few yellow bike rentals at college.
After college I came back to Iowa and rode about 5 min with my sister when my legs stiffened up and I could hardly even walk the bike back.
That leads to today. We are in Lanesboro, MN for our anniversary/Link's conception birthday. Lanesboro is known for bed and breakfasts and biking. We rented bicylces and a kiddie cart. I was hoping to do a tandem with a connection, but that was not doable so I flew solo why Bryce took the cart. After 10 minutes of hysterical screaming by Link in the kiddie cart we finally realized he needed more neck support. We got his car seat and put it in and he fell right asleep. Then we biked for another hour.
I love the ride. It is amazing what a good, well-maintained bike can do for a ride. Not driving on gravel was great. The whole path is paved and very nice. The bike I had was a Fuji crossroad. It was a little shorter than the man wanted to give me, but I wasn't comfortable on anything where just my tippy toes touched. It was my first bike with hand breaks, which wasn't to hard to adjust to. It also had speeds and gears, which I had no idea how to work. I noticed the difference in looseness when slipping into a lower gear but I couldn't tell if that was making it easier or harder to bike.
If the weather is nice maybe we will go again. Oh, also if we are not in pain from the stiffness.

No comments: