Monday, February 27, 2012

2012- Week 8

1. I'm reading my first Michael Pollan book, In Defense of Food.  It is a such a radical view from what I grew up on.  One of his suggestions be makes is to determine if you are eating real food or imitation you are to eat food the way your Great Grandmother would have eaten.  All I can remember is her eating circus peanuts and I don't think that is what he means (probably what she ate as before she was 90).  I am making my own rule up of not buying anything that I couldn't make at home.  Ex. If I had the time I could make Skippy natural peanut butter which contains roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil and salt, but I could not easily make JIF peanut butter which has roasted peantus, sugar, fully hydrogenated rapeseed and soybean oil, mono and digylcerides, and salt.  "Excuse me sir, what aisle can I find digylcerides in?"

2. We bought a van.  It was a little earlier this month, but a bit complicated.  My brother sold our Navigator and then used the money to buy a KIA.  So we just go the KIA this week.  The benefit of having two cars (thus far) has been the fact that Bryce can put Link to sleep while I am at work by driving him around.  Except the shocks aren't great so we are taking it to Hawkeye Tech College for the mechanic kids to work on. 

3.  Bryce turned 33.  I had an entire date planned out in Dubuque but we couldn't get our schedules to coordinate so we went out for coffee in the morning and I gave him a nice pair of new headphones which he likes a lot.

4. Fish Fry at St. Mary's church.  My favorite fish fry.  On the years I miss it I want to cry.  This time I even got mint chocolate cake for dessert. 

5. Went to see Joyful Noise at the movie theater.  It had good songs but wasn't that great of a script.   Bryce and I are big Dolly Parton fans and her role was smaller than I wanted it to be.  As a fan of Sister Act 2 in the 90s, this show was incredibly similar, even the same set.

6.  Central High School is mending clothes again for free.  It is part of their sewing class.  I always have a bin dedicated to this so I can't wait to bring it over.

7. Dinner at Victories with the Peace Church board.  We had great conversation with the Buckmans and Halversons and had really god food, including a coffee creme brulee.

8.  We got accepted for the housing revitalization grant in Elkader.  It was income based + need base.  We are number 3 out of 6 homes that are being done.  Super excited to see what they will do.

9.  Link washed his own hair, put on shoes, underwear, wanted to sleep in his own bed, brought a chair over to a cupboard to get a cup.  A little independent this week.

10.  Spent time with my family shopping in Waterloo.  Got two new pairs of pants.  When we came home the Oscars were on so we got to watch them.  I was pretty happy with the results.  I wish there had been a different best actress and I was disappointed that Bridesmaids was not an option for best picture, yet War Horse and Incredibly Loud were.

No comments: