Monday, November 23, 2009

Toys

Like most of my earthy crunchy friends I am not a fan of plastic. However, my dislike did not come from my peers but from an excellent documentary on the effects of the hormones in plastic. They do not directly effect us, but the reproductive organs of our children on down the line are at risk. So Bryce and I are fans of non-plastic diapers, non-plastic bottles, and non-plastic toys. For Christmas this year we have purchased for Link a felt yoyo doll, a wood push puppet, a knit ball, etc. If anyone has any cool ideas for toys to make please let us know.
Usually plastic and electronics go together too, so we are not planning on electronic toys.
Lindsey, whose home we went to on Halloween, has a 1 year old son. Her sister, who is not as natural decided to give Lindsey's son an electronic Elmo who sits in a chair and reads. Despite the fact that the Elmo is full of plastic parts, her sister looked past this and only saw the plastic chair. SOO, she threw away the chair and mailed them the Elmo. Lindsey, not being so strict as to throw away everything electronic and plastic gave the doll to her son. However, the point of the Elmo is that he sits in a chair and reads. When they put batteries in they found this out as Elmo without his chair only can say one thing "Opps, I fell down."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just ordered Joseph a wooden rocking horse! I'm so excited about it :-)

me said...

you could take up woodworking. i've seen lots of great home made toys made from wood.

One Artist a Day said...

i do some woodcarving on the side. (no joke).

Emm said...

Ikea (out of all places) has some really cool wood toys.