Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Another attempt at the Frugal Life

Ok, so you know I am following these blogs. But how is the shopping and savings going? I'm doing well with signing up for free samples. Got a netti pot, chips, coffee, and contact solution all in the mail. Shopping in person is another story. Here are my positives and negatives of my trip today.

- The drive to Waterloo (where the stores with deals are) is 1.5 hours. Am I just making it all up in gas?
+ Kwik Star Card gives me ¢ back for just using it. We get an $8- $10 check in the mail each month
+ Used Kwik Star Coupon to get free bananas
- Tried to do the free Lime Aid at Taco Bell, needed the coupon which I didn't print. I didn't know I would try until I got there. I think a smart phone with coupons (and a printer) would work for me, but is investing in a smart phone payment plane and 3G worth it? I can already answer no.
+ Did see Taco Bell is now having $2 combo meals. Instead of the gallon of soda and tacos on the side you get with their regular meals, you get a Medium Soda (much better) and Doritos with your order.
+ Went to Menards and price bathroom stuff. Got a free mop with a Kwik Star coupon. Bought a hand saw and two pair of pliers, all with mail in rebate. Got a trowel off the clearance rack. Bought a massive box of baby wipes there, on sale for $6.
- Was going to use the rebate check I got from my last trip to buy a fire extinguisher. I bought the extinguisher, but forgot about the check in my bag. Possibly due to my crying child at check out. Shopping without kids will be easier. I need to pump more.
+ Went to Goodwill. Came out with $10 spent on several large glass jars with lids I am planning to use at the co-op for flour and grains and such.
- Went to Home Depot and didn't see any deals. Their clearance section stunk.
- Went to Walmart and couldn't find the two grocery items I have FREE coupons for. Free jar of mayo and free mac and cheese. NOT EVEN AT WALMART? What gives. Also couldn't find their clearance section.
+Went to Old Navy and found double discounted boxers for Bryce. Used a $10 reward card from Bryce's credit card (We only have 3 store credit cards, Kwik Star, Old Navy, and Lane Bryant).
- I didn't have Bryce's card which was needed for the card. I had to call him using their phone (forgot mine) and have him give his social security in order to get the discount.
- Went to Starbucks during Happy Hour for a Frappuccinos. They are no longer doing the deal.
+ Took my Mom out for a retirement dinner at Cu in Waterloo. Used a restaurant.com gift certificate. We had excellent meals with the end total equaling a little over $15.

No comments: