Saturday, June 12, 2010

Growing up

One of the biggest issues I have had with Link is separation anxiety. As long as I am right there with him he seems like one of the most perfect kids. I take 3-5 steps away (I counted) he goes bizerk. Although I love that he loves me, I want to go to the bathroom alone sometimes. I heard that it is an evolutionary technique. Just when they start to wander, they start to cling. Thus no one wanders too far. Well, I was believing that for a while but my kid wasn't wandering.

Jump to this past week. Link is moving a lot more. Lots of belly sliding (without the cereal trail) and pulling up and cruising. And now that he is moving he is starting to lose the money grip. Let's hope. Recent examples include:
Sunday when we went to my parents to play croquet, grill out, etc. I got to play an entire game without holding him and Grandpa even went off with Link for a little while with no complaint. Thursday when we went to a gathering of IT people in Northeast Iowa. We left Link with Melissa Awad (not sure if she took Peter's last name) and he played with their kids Windsor and Summit from 6-8. Well he "played" until 8:10 when he finally broke down (most likely tired) and we came home at 8. The last time Link really hung out with the Awads was November.
Friday- I tried walking out of rooms without him and he has been occupied enough with his surroundings to not notice for a few mintes.
Saturday- Went to Sam's birthday party and he immediately let Trish hold him, even though he had his "what is going on" face for a good hour or so. He also played with Sam.
So big strides.
Other fun facts- Link devoured his first plum. I had to rescue the pit from his juicy hands.
He loves being in a clothes basket and practicing standing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so happy for you - it makes such a difference when the separation anxiety wanes for a bit. I've found that at different times/spaces/stages, it flares up again but wanes later again too.