Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bad movies, Bad food, Great time

I finally went on an artist date. The Artist Way book has been telling me to for over a month now and I haven't made a date. I finally did. It seemed everything was this weekend. I was invited to a lady's night, ask to fill in as a speech judge, thought about attending an auction (another Artist Date I have thought of doing) but in the end I went to the second annual Oneota Film Festival in Decorah. I had wanted to go last year. They had King Corn and Food Inc as films. This year it was bigger and it will continue to be.
I started the day by getting a coffee at Java Johns. I had heard a lot of good things, but never had gone. I was disappointed when I realized the Chai I ordered was Oregon and we have a box of the same stuff at home.
I then went to the festival. Trying to navigate the college, I missed the first film session but got in on The Farmer and the Horse which was about young people my age returning to farming with horses instead of tractors. It wasn't the greatest film but I did enjoy some parts. I like the line where one man said he was a farmer without land. That made me realize I feel like a business owner without a business. Another guy said he romanticised farming so much he might as well go all the way with horses. That was true of him.
I was planing on then attending a movie on bees but I ran into a bunch of friends and we got to talking about schooling and spirituality and such and I ended up going to the film they wanted to see called This Way of Life which was depressing and interesting to see their story, but not motivational or anything. I didn't have time for any more, but I still wan to see Wasteland, Schooling the World, A Small Act, and Ride the Divide.
After the film there was a dinner break and I went to LaRana where Jason, the esteemed cook of Decorah was in the pit. I was super excited to have some of his food. I ordered a mojito and winter squash bruchetta. The mojito was way to strong and the buschetta was only ok. The caramelized pecans were good. So this far in the day I had only disappointing food and movies, but I was still having the most fabulous day. I decided to go to Culver's and get an ice cream and take it to Goodwill to shop. It was delicious and fun to do. When I was done I felt so sick. I have been off carbs all month and all the food I had eaten were loaded. Yuck.
Nonetheless the night was not over. I went to the Toppling Goliath where the Decorah Art Council, D.ART, was having a get together called Beards and Beer. Here we made beards, drank beer (well, I didn't I was done), and took photos in silent film fashion. It was a great time. I didn't know anyone, but I made some great friends. Rose and Tim and I hung out at the beard making table and guess what actor was placed on our back for a good 15 min.
I'm still riding on the fumes of such a great time.

No comments: