Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mainstream holidays and religion

When Link used to go to Joan's house to daycare someone's favorite movie was Jack Frost and Link has this mainstream view of holiday chapters now that I don't really like.  And he thinks they all look like they do in that particular movie.  So he believes in the tooth fairy, but he says not other fairies.

I don't combat him, but I ask a lot of questions and share a lot of stories.  This year I emphasized the saints of St. Nick, St. Valentine, St. Pats, and now that it is Easter, Jesus.  The story he mostly gets is that we celebrate people teach us to love one another.  The same goes for Buddha.  His favorite song right now is Mason Jennings, "oh Jesus I love you, and I love Buddha too".  He likes to argue Easter is really about the Easter bunny and st. Pats is about leprechauns.  I'm trying not to squash that magic, while also helping provide him with some magic of closer to life legends.

Nevertheless here is out leprechaun trap.

The gold was stolen but we didn't catch a leprechaun.

We had a great St. Pats day this year mixed with library, green eggs, cookies, a fantastic parade, shamrocks, wearing green, homemade corned beef and cabbage, etc.








No comments: