Thursday, December 31, 2009
BUT, I am also happy because of my low income. Prior to being at this income level I never set a budget, I never thought about passing on something I wanted, I never limited when I ate out or other various things. I think it would be an insult to those with less than me to call myself poor, just as I am insulted when those with more than me think they are poor, but at this income level I am able to recognize what basic needs are and meet them. I have always been a stuff person and now I able to let things go, sell things, return things. This might be weird to say, but prior to this year I never even looked at the price tags in grocery stores or large chain department stores because I knew whatever was in the basket I could afford. Prior to this year I did not wait to save up for a piece of furniture, I just bought one when I found one I liked. I like that I am now thrifty and a great shopper. Making money is fun. I didn't realize I had to be limited to find this out. When and if I start to make more income I truly hope I don't lose my mentality that I have now. I hope I just put the extra into saving (because that is something I never did before and can't do much of now). In the end I am making more than I or my family needs to survive. Everyone reading this blog entry could say the same thing.
P.S.- I'm reading "The Life You Can Save," by Peter Singer and it may have some influence on what I just wrote.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Link is as close to rolling over as he is to getting his toes in his mouth (he can stick his tongue out and touch.
Link eats a few teaspoons of these foods: apple, banana, mango, strawberry, vegetable soup, mashed potatoes and thanks to my sister, frosting.
Still only two bottom teeth. Which match the two cuts on the bottom of my nips.
His hair is coming in strong all over. His 6 months clothes are finally to small.
He loves toys.
My favorite gift, thus far, was the gps from my parents. The Durbin's also rocked with very thoughtful gifts like knitting needles and a book on socks. It was a super Christmas with great interactions with my family and Bryce's.
Linda, the notorious bad gift giver, didn't do so bad. She gave me a Hallmark Rockin Rover which I already sold on e-bay for $17. I'm sure she got it for free.
Link got SO much stuff. I took a picture, but our card reader is not working at the moment. I think with the stuff we return (just a couple of items that require batteries) we will purchase Link a small toy box. Then maybe we can have our living room back.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
1. Contact solution breaks down proteins and thus eye boogers and nose boogers. A squirt up the nose and a finger smear on the eyes does wonders. I worked out the goo in the eyelashes as we nursed. A suction ball took care of the nose.
2. Car seats are great for upright sleep and a clearing of the sinuses. We bypassed the co-sleeping for the car seat. A lot of sleep is done for the body to recover. It seemed like Link was up only about 3 hours a day. It would have been great for travel days of rest and relaxing. Not great days for sightseeing. We bypassed any activities outside of Papa's house so Link could get all the rest he could.
3. If you were not sick before baby got sick, you will be after.
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Things we didn't do that we missed was singing Handel's messiah, attending a Christmas service, sledding, decorating cookies.
Things that came prior to advent, but could have been included were making a gingerbread house and putting up the Christmas tree.
Friday, December 25, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Vahida happy with Diana in one hand and a pistol in the other "I got gun!" (gift from Dustin)
Conversation between Bryce and Dustin. "Bryce, do you want to switch you blue snuggie for my cheetah print." "Hell yes. It will match my underwear."
Amber left out of the Christmas letter, not given a gps like everyone else, given $100 from Grandma and a note telling her to break up with Paul and get on bc. I told her to write a thank you saying "Thanks for the $100, I bought myself some birth control and now am dating 5 men."
Diana saying Pad De Cay while clapping hands.
I now know what to make for holidays. Thanksgiving I will do mashed potatoes. Christmas, oyster crackers.
Monday, December 21, 2009
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
all have gotten the disgusting look. all have gotten the give me more look.
link likes to bring his own spoon into his mouth. we usually hold on for less mess.
because he has no front teeth to scrape off the spoon and has yet to figure out the upper lip, he likes to use his finger to shovel more of what is on the spoon in his mouth. because he has one hand on the spoon handle and the other hands finger on the spoon top this can sometimes create a catapult.
Thursday, December 17, 2009
2. spit up out of his nose, sometimes with sometimes without his mouth. as one friend commented. he will be a hit at the lunch table.
3. slept 6-7 hours every night. thank you Creator.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Monday, December 14, 2009
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Saturday, December 5, 2009
So I am trying to be non gender specific in dressing Link, but the other day I decided to just dress him up like a girl since I have some clothes. Here is what I found out:
1. It is not just pink, it is the cut of the clothing that makes gender specific. Even when he just had on the green dress and brown flower in his hair he was totally girl.
2. As soon as a baby is dressed like a girl it is very hard to not call the baby a she. Even if you are the parent.
3. If we took Link out like this we assume people would be a little up in arms and be mad at us for making him cross dress, but of course Link didn't care one bit. He rather liked the dress. His first piece of clothing he could easily lift and put in his mouth.
4. Besides suits, most male clothing is pretty gender free. Women could wear the same thing if they wanted, but in the end I think most women prefer to wear cuts and colors that express their femininity more.
5. Like Manny on Modern Family (TV) we could just tell Link this is a twin sister of his that died.