Friday, April 10, 2009

Knitting and Baby Group

On Wednesday I took off some work to go to a knitting group with a bunch of my favorite women in Elkader. They want to get me started on a little baby sweater they all said was really easy. They are going to meet every two weeks, the only negative thing is it in Wednesday mornings, during work. I have so much in common with these women except for a few major things. 1. I am not in my early 40s. 2. Although I am married to a man with his name in the title of his company, his profits do not yet allow me to comfortably be a stay at home woman with lots of extra curricular projects. Instead I am a working woman with lots of extra curricular projects.
Bryce and I were on the Seder Supper committee at Peace Church so we cooked all night on Wednesday, knowing the fruits of our labor would go unseen by us because we had a baby class last night. We brought Matza balls as to the potluck to connect us.
The baby class was great. Unfortunately, not all the couples were there. One is close to delivery, the other group was teaching a clay pottery class at Art Haus. We talked about comfort and how to deal with heartburn without Tums and exercises to keep baby moving to face the back. We also went over our diet records and I was encouraged to eat more. It is so weird for a woman over 200 pounds to find eating so difficult, but uh, I am just not hungry at all. We also watched a video of a birth in France that happened last month where the woman used low chanting to have one of the most beautiful births. I am very encouraged by how much laughter there always is at group meetings and I can just imagine the birth being just as relaxing as laughter unfolds. That is one thing I really want. Everyone thought my short clip about how tiny babies look when you are not pregnant and how huge they look when you are pregnant was entertaining.
Brenda did my exam this time and she noticed baby had a "beautiful growth." I love Brenda. Probably because she knows what lies under my flesh at this time more than I do. She talks to the baby just like it was lying on of my stomach rather than inside. When she felt for the baby it kicked in exactly each place she touched. She is like the baby whisperer or something. I have never had baby react to anything so directly before.
We also got a speech on elimination communication, which is not insane, but seems pretty close to it. If you want to learn more about it go to diaperfreebaby.org. Moira is a big supporter. Moira is a little extreme on things (Vegan is almost always the first sign), but one thing I admire is that she is able to live so inexpensively and yet organically and close to earth. She has great tips for how to buy organic without having to use the co-op.
Today baby is tickling my ribs. I don't know if it hand grasping or maybe the brushing of a lot of hair on internal organs, but it feels really weird.

1 comment:

me said...

o yea i've heard of that elimination communication. wild.