Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vaccine debate

I received my "mothering" magazine today which had a great article on vaccine. However, this is another thing that I am now torn on. My midwives are anti-vaccine although they do give them if requested and they do inform me of all things that the baby could be vaccinated for. My pediatrician seems to be pro-vaccine, although we have only met him the one time. However, I think he is one of those people that would work with us and give us honest opinions. I mean the fact that he is a champion of home-birth in an illegal state shows some guts. Anyway, I don't know what to do. I see that blogger Jen is having her little guy vaccinated and she is someone I have agreed with on just about everything. One thing I am positive about is getting the Rhogam shot if the baby's blood doesn't match mine. My mother and father did because of their opposite blood types (as do Bryce and I). However, the funny thing is, I was the first child and I think I have my mother's blood type which actually means her shot was not even needed. If baby and I are opposite though I am not hesitating. Not getting the shot has pluses, but I think I said it before, I would automatically put myself at high risk for the next pregnancy and if I don't want the stress or want to home-birth again I am going to need it.
I also am following my mother and me pattern of being so damn late. My mom always says I was a month overdue. I am having no indications that I will be laboring soon and I am 8 days late. I'm not sure if I will be allowed to go a whole month these days. I really don't want a hospital birth. I hope my midwives don't send me there if I go past 14 days.

5 comments:

Betsy Durbin said...

I recommend vaccines. However these days they delay them somewhat compared to when our kids got them, so I think the babies' systems are a little more mature and able to handle them.

Jen said...

Try to be patient, remember the average 1st time gestation is 41w3d! :) You are doing so great!

Did you read "The Vaccine Book"? It helped me get comfortable with delayed vaxing vs. on schedule OR no vaxing.

Now if they would just separate all the combo shots for us...

Emm said...

We fully vaccinate out kids (at least the mandatory ones) but we delay and split alot of them.

Hang in there, just think the longer he is in there the more mature he'll be. He'll be a nursing champ!

Joy said...

Check out the book "Vaccines: Are They Safe and Effective?" by Neil Z Miller.

And hang in there!

One Artist a Day said...

Betsy, one of the most interesting thing in relation to you recently was them talking about how the chicken pox vaccine (not really even needed because the disease is not bad) is correlating with a huge rise in shingles in adults.