Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My son thinks I'm great


Voting for Mom, originally uploaded by Shannon Marye.

The results are in for City Council elections and I did not win. Bryce says "You ran a good campaign, though," which is a joke because there was no campaigning. I turned in my papers when I saw there were three spots running and thought that the incumbents were not re-running. So it would be one of those situation were you vote for three and there were only three candidates. Unfortunately they all ran again, as did Curtis Ruhser, who is probably the most well known person in Elkader because he is the biggest social butterfly and knows everyone. He got the most votes (200+). So who did he bump out of a seat? Betty Landis, the only other women on the board. So now we have an all white male in their 50s council, which is sad.
I didn't really think I was going to win and I was more disappointed when I lost the pumpkin decorating contest than I am about the election. (The artist in me.) However, I am walking about this election feeling really good about myself. I received the same number of votes as Betty and she has been on the council for years. I have only lived here one year. We received only 20 or so votes less than the person who came in third on the council. So I think I might run again another time, maybe campaign. Jakie O's strategy in Strawberry Point was to group up with a few other candidates and sell yourself as a team. It was nice that 5 ran so I wasn't the only loser. I also was a loser at my first attempt at making fudge this week. It has been sitting out three days and it is still runny.

No comments: