Saturday, September 13, 2014

Homeschooling Link

Well, we've made the decision to homeschool Link.  Currently we are homeschooling Tuesdays and Saturdays and sending him to Kinderhaus on Thursday and Fridays.  He was a little nervous to go back, but quickly connected with old friends and is thoroughly enjoying it.



First Unit: the first humans.  

I will put my lesson plan on here when I am at my desktop instead on in bed on my iPad.  Essentially we are studying cavemen but I wanted to be a little more broad.  We started with the question "if you were the first human what would you look like and what would you need?"

Our first Saturday we went cave exploring.  I had to drop salsa off at seed savers for their contest so we kept going North to Niagara Cave in Minnesota.  I've been to a lot of caves in the US and I adore this cave.  We had a great time.  

Link always poses In some sort of fighter pose these days.



Today we went on a hike and gathered sticks and rocks to make a spear, bow and throwing stones.  Then we went on a bear hunt.  We pretended we were covered in mud and leaves and hid in the back yard bushes.  Then we stragized and link threw rocks to scare the bear and I pierced it with the spear.  We then thanked the animal for its life and apologized for taking it from him.  Then we had to figure out how to cut it open.  Link decided we found a sharp claw a bear had lost and we used that.  Inside the build a bear I had taken out some stuffing and a speaker box that was broken and therefore scary to Link and instead I put in its place some ground beef for meat, rubber bands for intestines, red paint for blood, glue stick wrapped in paper for bone, and extra black fur for making clothes out of.  We alked about the importance of using the whole animal.  Then we had to figure out how to get it back to the cave and wether or not we should share any with other animals.







No comments: