Monday, August 11, 2014

Mini Vacation - Day 2

We left Iowa City early to go to Des Moines.  Our first stop was the Iowa State Fair.  I ordered tickets in advance so we both got in for $8 and the kids were free.  I even found free parking.  In my anxiety to find a good parking spot I turned down a side street and realize that regular curbside public parking was hardly being utilized.  That saved us $10.

Once in the gates we went to the Little Hands on the Farm Station where Link got to pretend to be a farmer.  He was most excited when his crops sold at the farmers market, they gave him pretend money and he could go buy a bomb pop that "wasn't pretend!"  I want him to be more into farming, but he just doesn't care.  


Then we went to a Tiger show which wasn't anything special.  Well, except for the part where one tiger marked his territory and Felix and I got splattered with Tiger pee.  Can't say that has ever happened to me before.


Next stop was the sky glider and Link thought it was the coolest thing in the world.  Randomly passed by on the glider Karin and kids, Claire's kids, and Kate and her kids.  When we got off the glider we ate some BBQ and cotton candy while watching a mandolin contest.  We went up to the grape stomp to participate but realized there were no openings.  We watched it though and also played with the giant yard games.


Time moved quickly and we soon found ourselves at a show watching people get inside a giant blown up latex balloon.  We also took Link on the giant slide.  He showed no fear until the end of the slide.  He had gotten a little air on the last bump and I think that scared him.  Also ran I to Swanson family.


By this time Link was getting crabby so we went to check into our hotel.  All the hotels jacked their prices up to $250 a night at fair time, but I searched around and found one that either forgot or chose not to,  the Suites at 800 Locust.  This place was also a spa and very fancy.  We got it for $130.  It was gorgeous, had free wifi, crib, and complimentary made to order breakfast.


I purposely booked a hotel in the east village for a couple reasons.  The first reason was HoQ restaurant.  A farm to table establishment.  We had three course meals and drinks which made up the difference of what we saved on the hotel. ;).  I was one of those restaurants where every bite made your shoulders drop. 



After filling our bellies we went to reason #2 the Pappajohn Sculpture park.  At dusk it was absolutely beautiful.  Link ran out all his stored up energy (can you find him in the bottom photo) and Felix and I strolled among the artwork.  Totally free and totally wonderful.  These last two vacation spots were planned for Bryce and I.  I didn't want to keep planning all my vacation time around kid fun, but the best part was, the kids enjoyed it too.










No comments: