Thursday, February 20, 2014

13 years ago

My friend Cheri mentioned that this week she and her husband officially started dating 13 years ago.  Oddly enough it is the same for us.  This Saturday marks the day, when we first hung out, just the two of us.  I don't think I have ever recorded our meeting story, so here is how we started.


I was at the BeBop Bar in Florence, Italy with my roommate and my friend Christy ;).  It was getting pretty late and I could tell that my roommate was not going to be coming home with me that night.  I started walking home, which was just outside of Florence's walls, about an hour walk over the Ponte Vecchio.  I was scared because it was so late and everything closes around 10, including transportation.  So I thought first I would go to the all night bakery by the school and see if anyone was there I knew.

As soon as I got to there Bryce walked around the corner.  I already had a crush on him so I was shocked to see him there.  We said hi and a split second later his roommates and friends walked around the same corner following him.  They were all headed to a different bar and asked if I wanted to go with them, letting me know that it was Bryce's birthday.  I said no, that I wanted to go home and Bryce said he would walk me.  I told him no because it was his birthday and I lived a long ways out.  He said he would rather walk me home than go with his friends, so he did.  

That walk we talked about things like our families and the Simpsons and school.  When we got to my door there was the awkward "what next" moment so I gave him a hug and said thank you.  The next day was spring break so I didn't see him again for a week.  

The next time I saw him I asked him if he was scared walking back by himself.  He said he was and that he didn't know I lived so far away.  Never-the-less walking me home became a pattern.

No comments: