Friday, October 18, 2013

Nothing Instep

This morning I looked at my calendar and saw something I hadn't seen in a very long time.  Nothing.  So I thought about what was on my to do list and returning items from whimsy market to vendors came to the top.  I have had these boxes in my car for over a month.  So I made a trip to Dubuque and made a day of it.

One thing I really needed to do was buy some shoes.  All summer I have been wearing Teva sandals and Mary Janes which now have holes in them so I needed something for colder winter and more close toed.  Nothing in my closet fits and after three returns to zappos, I figured I better go to a shoe store so I can try on lots at one time.  Well guess what?  Hardly anything fits.  

Did this pregnancy make my feet longer?  Nope, my toes still only reach to a size 8.  Did this pregnancy make my feet wider?  Nope, I still take a medium width. So what did this pregnancy do to my feet that makes them unshoeable?  My instep has gotten bigger.  If you don't know what an instep is, it is the slope of the top of your foot from toes to ankle.  And if you have a high instep you can't even get your toes down far enough in the shoe to get them on.  I can't even get on a size ten toms or a pair of clogs.  I didn't notice this summer because both my summer shoes have large openings at the instep.  Dear lord, I hope this isn't a permanent change.  What I found out today was that the options for women with high insteps are Mary Janes with long buckle bands, cowboy boots and men's shoes.  That's it.  I ended up buying a pair of boots, but I'm very discouraged.  So I also bought myself a new dress from the dress barn that wasn't on the sale rack.  Take that clothing makers.  Or, I guess, take that credit card.  Whoops.  

No comments: