Friday, October 29, 2010

Play and Puke

My brother Dustin and his wife Vahida have been in Vegas all week. My mom had volunteered to baby sit months ago and then things came up that all landed on this week for her. So I stepped in. It was super fun to see Diana and Link getting along so well. Diana is very talkative and can say several things. She loves picking up the phone and saying "Hi. Ok. Tonight? Ok. Ok. What'd you say?" Lincoln picked up lots of words from her including his favorite, uh-oh. I wasn't crazy for some of the scoldings she gave Link, shaking her finger and saying "No!" but I totally understand. That and her not wanting to eat anything were the only negatives. I finally got her to eat when I brought over one of my once a month cooking casseroles which she gobbled up. The positives far outweigh any complaints. She is a cuddler. She can very well entertain herself. She sits still for diaper changes and tells me when she needs one. She lays right down for a nap and goes to sleep.

I think she may have brought Link a little bug though. Vahida said she was having some stomach problems and this morning when I woke up, Link had vomited all over the crib. I had been sleeping in the same room as him, heard him hiccup, heard him give what I thought was either a very juicy burp or vomit. He didn't cry so I thought burp and didn't check. I felt like a complete parent failure the next morning when his hair was sticking to the pillow. I thought it might have been an allergic reaction to strawberries, which are high on the list for babies and what my mom had feed him the day before, but as the day progressed and he threw up a few more times, he also developed a slight fever. He is resting now. His body is so good at sleeping when he is a sick little on. The last time he had the flu was his first Christmas. That was disappointing as everyone wanted to meet him and he was sleeping most of the holiday away. Now he is sick on his second Halloween. This holiday is the worse to be sick on. All the money and preparation for the holiday goes out the window if you are not present. There are no left overs and gifts to open at a latter date. It is here and now. That being said, I am not going to force him to get in costume and go trick or treating, but I am also not telling anyone at the baby Halloween Party on Sunday that he is sick. If he gets better before then, I don't want to freak out anyone that is there. Plus, aren't viruses spread in the first few days anyway?

Christmas was in Kentucky last year and we were planning on going again this year, but were still on the fence. We for sure are not going now. Even though I will miss seeing everyone, we did make our way to every immediate family member this summer.

No comments: