Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weaknesses and Frugalling Up

A while back I mentioned we were going to be doing more than a pantry challenge. We were going to try to spend no money this month other than on bills. Well, we have been doing pretty well so far. Halfway through and the only thing we really needed to buy has been gas and another car repair. We have learned our weaknesses and also some ways to be more frugal.

My weakness seems to be wanting to purchase things while driving. This kind of makes sense being so removed from stores that when you pass them you want to purchase a drink or just see the sales, etc. Bryce and I both seem to have a weakness with doing things with friends and in the end I don't really see myself stopping this. This is the one expenditure I don't mind spending. Nonetheless, we have had a great month with friends without spending any money. We had a birthday party for Lincoln using stuff we already had. I went the movies and spent $7 on a ticket, but didn't get anything extra. I went to a free concert at the fish hatchery in Decorah with free popcorn and shakes. I met up with several friends at a free concert and free meal at Schera's the other night.

Some things I am learning to be more frugal with is drinks. I don't like drinking water so I plow through the milk and juice. I started making large batches of sun tea and am enjoying it now. We ran out of oil so I am using leftover grease to cook. Meals have not become too dull yet. I am craving onions and chicken. We have a better idea of what we really need from the grocery store now. Coupon hunting is easier because we known what we want/need. We look up ways to make things when we don't have something. Like dish soap. When my computer wouldn't start again I used Bryce's instead of calling the repair guy and Bryce looked at it more. We also fixed our camera lens without buying another one. I am being less bashful about asking for refunds and not just accepting my fate. I have been on the phone a lot. I have been using the library more to preview things and rent movies. Oddly enough the movies I am drawn to are Suze Orman sessions on money. I am also researching alternative ways to make money and reducing clutter in our life by selling items we don't need.

No comments: