Friday, August 27, 2010

Using ALL Coupons for the First Time

I have always been overwhelmed by coupons, but I love seeing them. My giddiness at home never feels the same in the store. So today I tried it out at our local Dollar General to see what I could do.
I learned quite a few things.

1. Don't take your toddler. Or if you do, get the Nilla Wafers first and open the box.
2. The generics cost less than the name brands, even after coupons. I did get the ziplock bags instead of the generic though because we reuse them and I wanted quality ones if we reuse.
3. Bring two calculators, one to compare prices the other to keep a running total of what you have with coupons added in.
4. The deals that some coupon bloggers post are not fully researched. One said Purex was totally free because it was $1 off and it was only $1 at DG. The only thing is that the $1 was a to go pack and the coupon says, "excludes to go packs"
5. Some coupons are too specific. Huggies diapers were only for Little Snugglers, which when I was at the store realized was only Size 1.
6. The best coupons are the broad ones. Like $5 off if you spend $25. It's worth grabbing a 50 cent item to bring your total from $24.50 to $25 for the discount.
7. Additional coupons are usually on the counter. For my own sanity I would probably grab one the day before if I could or come back the next day so I could peruse without pressure.
8. Clip the coupons out, even if you print them. They are a hastle if you don't use them all.
9. Bring an envelope with you to keep them in for your sanity.
10. Coupons don't get added in completely until the end so if the running total is $26, it stay may drop below $25.
Today I saved $10.75 and spent $20.88.

No comments: