Monday, April 26, 2010

Take your lumps

This week I taught my son that if something bad happens you have to get over it because no one will come to your rescue. :(

Because the retreat this week was in Dubuque, we decided Bryce would still work Schera's and Link would stay with me at the center. Around 9 pm I put Link to bed and went to do late night sessions with friends. Some people went to bed so I left the door open and the light on in case he made a fuss, someone would get me. Around 11 pm I went to check on him.

The bed was empty and feet were sticking out from under the bed opposite the one he was on. Tiny yelps (as if giving up his calls for help). My heart completely sunk. I have no idea how long he was under there, how he fell, and how long ago the fall happened. He was happy to see me, not red faced, just startled. I brought him out to the group and they reassured me I was not a bad mother. He wasn't upset and didn't look bruised or cut anywhere.

That night when I changed his diaper, he demonstrated how he fell (me lightly bracing him). It involved rolling to his stomach, scooting backwards off the bed, and then a fall to feet, to butt, to head.

So, everything was making me feel better until breakfast the next day when a neighbor said. "I heard Link's little melt down last night. Was he crying or laughing?"

Ahh. My poor boy.

No comments: