Saturday, March 13, 2010

Eat Shit

Tonight I went with my family to the fire fighter's spaghetti dinner in Fayette. (It was really good by the way. The type of spaghetti I was craving during pregnancy.) Amber was working because she is a volunteer member of the team. She also told me that this week Amber was singles out and picked on by some firefighters. She came home crying.
While talking to mom about this I realized I also did that this week. I came home crying after volleyball. Not because it was hard or we lost or anything, but because this one girl on my team treats me like I am a horrible volleyball player. I wouldn't feel bad if she was better than me, but she is not. I dread going to volleyball tomorrow because I don't know what to say if she starts bossing me around. I joined the league knowing I was an average player. I will leave the team thinking I suck.
My mom then started talking about her work environment which she has spent the last 10 years. If there is one negative thing my matriarcy has passed down, it is the feeling of helplessness in situations where we are treated like dog meat. Although it could be seen as a "turn the other cheek" type of behavior, this type of behavior could lead Amber or maybe one of our offspring to feel helpless in times of immense brutality. The women of my line all seem pretty tough, but we can be walked on by nearly anyone.
Somebody please lend my your guts.

No comments: