Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Batty

Yesterday was my birthday. I spent some of the day working, some cleaning the house and then in the evening Shannon threw me a Batman-themed birthday party. We had six friends over (three couples) and their kids. We know them from different stages in our lives and while it seems like they might not all have much in common with each other, I think everybody had a good time. Our friends Sadie and Jason, whose daughter is a month younger than Link, had the same midwife we did (that's how we met). Shannon felt that they bridge the gap between the interests of the other two couples.

And I bridge the gap between the adults and the kids because I wanted to play Lego Batman with the kids (which I did after everyone went home). Shannon got me the game as a gift.

For dinner we had cream of broccoli soup (my mom's recipe), salad with cranberries and sunflower seeds, fresh bread, and baked potatoes.

I made a lemon cake (from a box, but still delicious) and was happy to use our mixer, which I've neglected for the couple years we've had it. It's awesome. I also made some lemon bars to give our neighbors, Josh and Kari, because whenever there's a lot of snow, Josh plows the sidewalk for the whole block with his four-wheeler. (I think he enjoys doing it, but deserves to be thanked anyway.)

I got many warm wishes for my birthday. Phil, Teresa, Naomi and Erika sent a cool home-made card of lion faces (with movable mandibles). My parents sent me a biography of Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes.

No comments: