Monday, August 31, 2009

Spirit Filled Weekend

This weekend we went to Griswold, IA for a Spirations retreat. I think it was our first overnight except the hospital. Link did great on the 4 hour drive. Only cried at the gas station when we changed him. We stayed the first night at Dustin's so we could travel leisurely and not rushed. He had a break at 6 pm so he let us in the house, went and got Diana (6 months old now) and then took off. It was strange having two kids to look after. When Diana cried, Link did and my head exploded. However it only happened once. We got Diana to sleep and it wasn't until Bryce left me alone for a quick errand that she woke up (or course). IT was a small challenge juggling a 14 pounder and a 24 pounder. We mostly watched the home and garden network and then went to bed.
On Friday-Sunday I partook in several sessions on modern shamanism, made a rattle, explored a cave, etc. ducking in and out to breastfeed. Bryce was awesome at taking care of Link almost all week. He even got him to drink a couple of bottles. For me the experience was a lot about breastfeeding. Link has just ended a growth spurt and was sleeping a lot so I was becoming engorged often. At one point in the night I woke up leaking so I just held a couple of bottles up to me and got over an ounce (free flowing). Another lesson learned, when meditating in a warm room do check your breast pads now and then. Fortunately everyone'e eyes were still closed when I slipped out for a change. I also got the sling hold down. I had to realize it doesn't make you handsfree, but it does make you able to walk.
Bryce and I rarely talk about sleep deprivation because we know so many parents with kids not sleeping 5+ hours, but we are feeling the effects, mostly while sleeping. I have to walk Bryce through the steps of turning on the light when I am trying to nurse and he handed me a hand grasping nothing but air when I asked for water, but I do the same. Link slept on the floor in the middle of our single beds at the retreat. I would just bring him in bed with me when nursing. At one point I told Bryce to get the blankets ready so I could put Link down. Bryce said he was already down there so I thought he was doing his sleeping thing, "No he is not, he is just finishing nursing," I argued back, then I looked down at my arm cradling nothing.
On our way home we stopped by the Hindu Temple and Cultural center in the middle of a cornfield. It seems to be still under some construction, but was very beautiful. We missed any celebrations because it was late Sunday night.
We also stopped in Cedar Falls to go to SoHo but it was closed so we tried the Mexican restaurant across the street. It was delicious but I am not sure if it was wise as today Link had been crying A LOT and looks very uncomfortable. However, he did figure out thumb sucking today, even tough he still prefers his whole hand.
Two awesome grandparent surprises came in the way hme when Grandpa Will called asking us to stop by because he missed his little one and when arriving home we got a big box of cloth diapers and accessories from Grandmother Durbin. I didn't realize I liked wool covers but this one kicks butt.

No comments: