Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Cries


first cry, originally uploaded by Shannon Marye.

By most standard births, my experience was exceptional. I was able to labor in the comfort of my own home for as long as my body needed to with an amazing support team and no desire or mention of drugs. I was transferred to an exceptional hospital in a calming relaxing way that did not involve any emergency transfer. I was able to relax in a birth tub both at home and in the hospital and use a birth stool both places. I was able to labor still as long as my body needed with the same support team and without mention of epidural. My husband was able to catch our child and leave the cord on as long as needed. I ripped just ever so slightly that I was able to opt out of any stitches and six days later (today) am almost completely healed. I was able to take home the placenta and was treated in such an exceptionally loving way with a holistic approach by all who talked to me. Really, the birth of Lincoln was amazing.
Unfortunately, I still cry each day with Lincoln as we mourn the one thing we really wanted. To birth in the comfort of our own home. I still don't remember how things progressed to the point I left. I don't remember how I forgot about all the focus points I set up and activities to do to keep me focused. All I remember was wanting to be finished, but now I just want to go back and do it again.

1 comment:

reuben said...

Absolutely beautifully written. I know what you mean in so many ways - so many things went the way you wanted and you can celebrate but you mourn what didn't go how you had planned and that's expected and OK. And as I round the corner on the third trimester, I look forward so much to labour all over again - heidi.