Monday, May 11, 2009

Powerful, Beautiful, Birthing Forth Great Love

For my birthday this year I asked Bryce for a Blessingway. It is a Native American Tradition of supporting women before they birth. It was an amazing day. Trish was the MC. She also created a beautiful song for me on the special day.
We started the day singing. Then we all added a bead to a bracelet that I will wear during birth to remind myself of each woman's support. The bracelet is beautiful (and still growing, if you want to be with me in spirit you can still send a bead). We introduced ourselves as daughters of _____.
Following the intro circle we did stations of arts and crafts according to traditional Native American directions. In our North room (the kitchen) we celebrated Earth by planting seeds that we will plant at our home. So many people brought beautiful flowers to decorate the home. In the East room (dining room) we celebrated Air and Spring by writing Tibetan Pray Flags and words of wisdom in Easter Eggs. The eggs will be hidden during labor so that I can go on an egg hunt and find the voices of those who attended the ceremony. The flag already is blowing in our backyard. In the South Room (our office) we celebrated Fire by created ancient clay power symbols to be fired. The figurines will be placed around the house. In the West room (living room) we celebrated water with watercolor paintings of a book about birthing in encouraging ways.
We also joined together with food and then came back to the circle for more singing. In closing we took red yarn and created a web between mothers, this time saying our names and who we are the mother of. It was such an honor to join the circle as a future mother. During sharing Trish made me aware that some people may get emotional as they are reminded of their own birthing experiences. My cousin Liz was the one who lost it. I was very surprised, but it was great to have her show so much emotion and love.
I was so blessed to have such great women there to celebrate. I gave all the women candles to light during the time of my birthing.
It was one of the greatest gifts I could ever have.

No comments: