Monday, March 16, 2009

First Class

Tonight we had our first prenatal class at Brenda's home. Her partner Mora and her apprentices Valarie and Ida helped the couples learn how to do their own monitoring. Bryce learned blood pressure, measuring the fundus, and we already had learned urine anlysus. There were five couples present, plus Mora is also pregnant.
All the couples were really great. We ate food (prepared mostly by vegiterians and met cool people.
Sadie and Jason are from Guttenberg and we really clicked with them. Sadie has dreads as well and Jason's mom works for the Guttenberg Press. They are due in Septemeber.
Ben and Katia were from Wisconsin. When Ben said he was from Gay's Mills I slightly mentioned I had looked into community living there and he told me he grew up on the Frog and Toad commune, which has been completely off the grid since the 1970s. He was a supported of community living, but he said it definitely depends on the group of people you are with and the age group of Frog and Toad does not appeal to him. Plus he said Katia wooed him with her "running water". They are due in April.
Lisa and Scott both work at Luther College and live in Decorah. Lisa teaches theater and Scott does IT. They were the most normal out of the group.
Jenna and Aaron were there with their daughter Myra, who is walking and saying "hi" but I'm not sure how old she was. Jenna impressed me in that she was nursing Myra and pregnant, due in July. I can only imagine how much you would have to eat to nourish baby 1, baby 2, and yourself. They looked a little wiped.
The night focused on nutrition and keeping track of what we ate as well as addressing what other topics we would like to address. We lit candles for joys we have in our life and Ida sang taught us a song.
I am so happy to meet other pregnant women who are like minded. Afterward we went to the coop to buy hemp oil, which I am taking for more Vitamin K to help with my depression and some yummy stuff.
I talked a little bit about being unable to accomplish anything recently and lots of people gave some really great advice. Such as working in micro-movements. Acomplishing a small task each day which leads up to the big task that I want to do. Like finding a supply one day, cutting out a pattern the next, etc. Also another thing we realized is Bryce is spending all his time working and I am actually with him but feel very lonely. So he said he was going to try and work on spending more time with me.
Last night I had the worst dream. My depression made me insane and I murdered. I told Bryce to go back to Ohio and I wanted an abortion of the evil child that had possesed me and to be put to death for destroying everything I loved. They wouldn't let me do either so the majority of my time dream was me finding ways to kill myself and my baby. Ahhh. I woke up balling and had to get Bryce.

3 comments:

LHD said...

Shannon -
The crazy dreams are definitely part of being pregnant - it's all those hormones. Try to do some good relaxing breathing before you go to bed and think good thoughts - it seemed to help me. I had many many sleepless nights with many wakeups and I got through them with good books, going for walks at crazy hours (often dragging poor Ted out of bed with me), and breathing. I also found it helped to eat a snack before bed (my favorite was graham crackers and milk). Hang in there!
LHD

me said...

o ick i hate dreams like that. i had all these terrible nightmares in early 2006. it helped to have people pray against demons that might try to shake you. i'll pray.

One Artist a Day said...

Thanks guys.
The dream actually was a great relief in the end, because I came to terms with my depression and have been feeling much better since then.