Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dr. Schwartz, thumbs up

Today Bryce and I went to see a new doctor, Dr. Schwartz. I had heard many great things about him from people in the area. He was great. We told him right away that we were having a home birth and basically were looking for a emergency doctor and pediatrician. He was excellent and so reassuring that we were making the right choice. He said Brenda (our midwife) is amazing and if he should be called in an emergency he trusts she will have done everything in her power and knows what is going on so the emergency will be easily taken care of. Although he has had very few calls from her, those that he did deal with went smoothly.
That was basically it, he gave us a prescription with his cell phone number and said he would most likely see us in August for baby's first appointment.
We are very please to have him as a doctor and it only took us about 45 minutes to get there compared to an hour and a half.
I am so excited about this upcoming home birth. We get all kinds of excuses for why not to do home birth from well meaning people. My favorites being "hospitals aren't like they used to be." I just nod my head but inside think "Ah yes, back then there were way less cesarean and less medication." Do people think hospital births are done all over the world? Do they realize how we compare in death rate and complications to other countries? Nope.
My other favorite is "thank God I was in a hospital or this traumatic event would never have happened." Do they not see the connection? My niece was born the same day as "blogger Jen" delivered her son. One hospital, one home birth, both first children, around the same weight, same length of labor, etc. The home birth was amazing and the hospital birth needed a vacuum extractor and several other interventions. The hospital mom was terrified of her birth and recommended I be in the hospital in case. Again I nod, but inside "Uh, I would prefer the more peaceful birth."
Dr. Schwartz (a hospital doctor) is in agreement.

1 comment:

Tracy Anne said...

i just found out one of my friends delivered one of her friends' babies at home. She's not a midwife, but an EMT.