Friday, December 12, 2008

The baby bookshelf

1. Birthing from Within. Pam England. My favorite by far. It is all about emotions and making art. It starts with worry which I think is the first thing that was in my head, so it meet me at the door smiling.

2. The Spirit of Pregnancy. A collection of short stories and poems by published authors. This blog has some of the assignments posted. I was doing it as my regular meditation, but I realized I was getting to far ahead of myself and needed to slow down. No quikening happening yet. I borrowed this from Trish, but bought my own copy because I liked it so much.

3. Raising Baby Green- A signed copy by Mr. Greene himself. We are using it more for remodeling advice in our home than much baby stuff at the moment. The one chapter on pregnancy is eating organic, which we do occasionally. Much easier in the summer when we have the farmers market and clear roads that can take us to the Decorah Co-Op. I hate that just when I wanted Strawberries SOO bad, they went out of season, to the point they are not even at Walmart, the master of giving you everything you want at any cost.

4. Pregnancy for Dummies- Joanne Stone. Pretty practical stuff. More like a dictionary than a good read. Some of their charts and graphs are very helpful.

5. What to Expect when you're Expecting- Eisnberg. All my hippie moms I hang with hate the book, but I still have a little bit of mainstream in me. The book is a lot like Pregnancy for Dummies. Scares you more than anything, but it does have some answers to questions you can't find other places.

6. Meditations during Pregnancy- It's upstairs and I'm not in the mood to go get it just for the authors name. It is a weekly meditation with some suggestions to do. There is a 20 minute cd to listen to with guided meditation. Bryce and I have been doing it together and it is really nice. The only thing I dislike is the tense. I dislike reading books that say "Now I am in my 10th week and I am feeling the weight of my growing breasts." How accurate can that be for all women? However, I still ike the book

7. Mother Rising- Cortlund. I actually have not started this book yet.

8. Wise Woman Herbal Childbearing Years- Susan Weed. Another borrow from Trish. It's like an herbal book for all that is going on during and after pregnancy. I haven't gotten to far into it because I am not well versed in where to actually get many of these herbs.

This is all for now. I have had several other suggestions, just have not gotten to them yet. There is so much to digest, but I have six more months so not a problem. Book club only gives me one month.

Thanks for the ginger ale suggestion, I had it at work today and I have not been feeling bad since. And I haven't eaten ten thousand crackers either.


4.

No comments: